The title of a rather cheesy song by a Swedish girl called Emilia that was a big hit somewhere in the late nineties. More than ten years down the line it still pops up in my head every now and again. In spite of being a big girl these days, it still is a big, big world too. Which I find hugely fascinating yet intimidating at occassions...



Monday 25 February 2013

Answer To The Celery Question

Some people love it, some hate it. In fact, not long ago I read in a blog they thought celery was hairy,groce and it should be forbidden... It wasn't even a vegetable! As for me, I'm somewhere in the middle, yet I keep buying celery shrubs. What for? To put in a sauce as a base ingredient. Once upon a time, I read (I think it was in one of Jamie Oliver's book but I can't be sure of this...) that Italians always add a stick in their pasta sauces for it's nice and earthy tone. I found this to be true and that's why I keep buying them! But unlike the Italians, us Dutchies don't have the opportunity to buy let's say a half shrub or a couple of sticks. So this is what happened to me time after time: I ended up with a full shrub minus the few sticks I needed and it got left behind in my fridge forever more! Until the following recipe came into my life. Celery Risotto! After softening shallots and garlick, first the risotto rice is added until translucent and then a splash of dry white wine. Prepare the risotto as usual and when it's done, add blue cheese and pine kernels, walnut, or another nut of choice. This is truely one of my favourite risotto recipes. Pic from www.allerhande.nl

No comments:

Post a Comment