The title of a rather cheesy song by a Swedish girl called Emilia that was a big hit somewhere in the late nineties. More than ten years down the line it still pops up in my head every now and again. In spite of being a big girl these days, it still is a big, big world too. Which I find hugely fascinating yet intimidating at occassions...



Sunday 4 July 2010

Leaving on a jet plane.


Travelling to me is all about the anticipation. To think about a destination, get started on the reading up, do research and make notes on places I'd like to visit.. I draw a little map and take pictures of my trip in my head! Never mind what I'll end up doing,the plan is a loose one. Perhaps I enjoy this preparation part even more than the journey itself. Well... almost.
After all, one's travellings might just end up in a rather stressful manner!
- Will I make it to the airport in time?
- Let me think, did I forget anything or not.. Passport: check. Ticket: check. Creditcard: check. Never mind the other stuff, it will more than likely be available no matter what the destination is... If not, I'll just have to make do.
But than the arrival: it can definitely make the whole thing start off on the wrong foot. There's no impression like the first one so better make it a good one. Consequently: where shall I stay that very first night at my destination and how will I get there? I don't want to deal with annoying cab drivers and certainly don't want to have them drive me around to an unknown destination in the dark of night when I'm shattered by the journey. I think I'm past that...

No worries! Some people like crosswords, I like making a plan. An initial plan. A loose plan. Just to get me started. Than I'll take things from there. Without a doubt, I'll have a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment