The title of a rather cheesy song by a Swedish girl called Emilia that was a big hit somewhere in the late nineties. More than ten years down the line it still pops up in my head every now and again. In spite of being a big girl these days, it still is a big, big world too. Which I find hugely fascinating yet intimidating at occassions...



Thursday 22 July 2010

Sick.

"I am the girl of a hundred lists, from what shall I wear, to who I have kissed!" That good old Gogo's song was playing over and over again in my head when I took off to Turkey. (Was also going to add the clip, for all you eighties fans but for some reason YouTube has been banned here...) Didn't really mind the clothes or kisses (double yuk!) but had a loooooong list of places to visit and things to do during my month here. Though I will always, always practice the policy of being flexible about plans when leaving for a certain destination. After all, life is what happens to you while you`re busy making other plans..



Good job I did.
Already on my second day in Istanbul I became quite ill. Woke up before dawn having to empty my bowels, feeling like I wanted to puke (which is quite hard on an empty stomach), sweating like there was no tomorrow and hardly able to carry my own weight.
No worries, these things happen when one's traveling and mineral water works miracles! Unfortunately the next morning, I didn't feel any better. On the contrary.
As I am a firm believer in breakfasts, dragging myself upstairs to the terrace seemed like a good idea. Only two flights of stairs but İ didn`t manage in one go. Gave the poor breakfast girl a fright by making a somewhat zigzaging entrance. Downright freaked her out after İ spilt the contents of my stomach into a plastic bag that she managed to hand me over right in time. Two people had to help me get back to my room, cause İ decided sleeping was a much, much better idea... Don`t remember much of the days after it. Only that İ couldn`t eat, couldn`t walk and sounded if İ were drunk as soon as İ tried to say something. For the record: no alcohol has entered my body since İ entered Turkey.
Had to postpone the flight to Erzurum with one day. Only then did İ feel capable of traveling. Not that İ was better: not by a long shot. My kind hosts took me to see a family doctor who decided at first glance that there couldn`t be anything serious the matter with me. Example of healthiness! İt took only a little bit of blood to reveal the truth: some infections, more than likely caused by food poisoning. İ probably claimed on more than one occasion that this would never happen to me, so İ`ll hereby eat my hat...




Getting back on track by relaxing in Datça. Did some yoga this morning and no, The Dog (a yoga position, google it if you wish cause İ`m on a holiday and İ`ve been ill!) didn`t make me collapse. İ`m doing just fine.
Looks like İ`m back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment